Call us : (250) 377-1182
facebook twitter linked-in
opawica ntg fairmount lingo media lux

QIS Capital Stock market contest

Hello there guest! Want to join in on the conversation? Login or register for a forums account by visiting this link.

By jude

Posted: Monday Jan 4 3:44:46PM 2010

Nice weekly gain, rodball! $37,000! Curious how your own portfolio compares.

By Josh_Kier

Posted: Monday Jan 4 12:44:15PM 2010

The 2009 QIS Stock Challenge has been updated for the last time using closing prices from December 31/09. The final Leaderboard has been posted and the year-end contestant portfolios have all been updated in the Stock Challenge PDF file. 2009 QIS STOCK CHALLENGE - FINAL STANDINGS

By mrjones321

Posted: Thursday Dec 24 10:10:11PM 2009

Congratulations to all who have taken part of this contest this year. I will be going thru the stock selections of many of the contestants to get an idea of what were the great picks of the year. Anyone with any thoughts as to the next big picks for next year? Best of luck to all who are participating in the last week. May the best stock picker win.

By Josh_Kier

Posted: Thursday Dec 24 4:34:47PM 2009

The QIS Stock Challenge has been updated using closing prices from December 24/09. The new Leaderboard has been posted and the contestant portfolios have all been updated in the Stock Challenge PDF file. Check out the new standings and latest trades... QIS STOCK CHALLENGE

By Josh_Kier

Posted: Friday Dec 18 2:35:02PM 2009

I also hope that those investors who had huge gains resulting from their long-term positions in the contest actually did the same thing in their real-life portfolios. Some amazing gains were had this past year. ******* The QIS Stock Challenge has been updated using closing prices from December 18/09. The new Leaderboard has been posted and the contestant portfolios have all been updated in the Stock Challenge PDF file. Check out the new standings and latest trades... QIS STOCK CHALLENGE

By Bobwins

Posted: Sunday Dec 13 9:16:06PM 2009

Congrats to all participants. I hope that many used the contest to mirror their real life portfolios as we had some great results. One of the interesting things I noted was that buy and hold and very concentrated holdings worked for several contestants. Hopefully the disqualified contestants who had spectacular stock picks put real life money into these great stocks. Bobwins

By Broke in Canada

Posted: Tuesday Dec 1 2:46:49PM 2009

Man, had I entered this contest, I would have been double second place.

By Josh_Kier

Posted: Friday Nov 13 4:01:19PM 2009

The QIS Stock Challenge has been updated using closing prices from November 13/09. The new Leaderboard has been posted and the contestant portfolios have all been updated in the Stock Challenge PDF file. rodball gained back 6 spots this week and is now sitting in 9th place, while ray slipped a few slots to 15th position. Check out the new standings and latest trades... QIS STOCK CHALLENGE

By Josh_Kier

Posted: Friday Nov 6 10:43:23PM 2009

The QIS Stock Challenge has been updated using closing prices from November 6/09. The new Leaderboard has been posted and the contestant portfolios have all been updated in the Stock Challenge PDF file. rodball fell back 4 spots this week and is now sitting in 15th place, while mrjones321 and Stiltrying each moved up 2 places in the standings. Check out the new standings and latest trades... QIS STOCK CHALLENGE

By Josh_Kier

Posted: Friday Oct 30 4:59:19PM 2009

The QIS Stock Challenge has been updated using closing prices from October 30/09. The new Leaderboard has been posted and the contestant portfolios have all been updated in the Stock Challenge PDF file. rodball gained back 3 spots this week and is now sitting in 11th place, while buffettlike dropped 2 slots from 6th to 8th. Check out the new standings and latest trades... QIS STOCK CHALLENGE

By Josh_Kier

Posted: Friday Oct 23 4:19:21PM 2009

The QIS Stock Challenge has been updated using closing prices from October 23/09. The new Leaderboard has been posted and the contestant portfolios have all been updated in the Stock Challenge PDF file. No change in the top 5 this week - mlmack and jchubitnet each climbed 2 positions in the standings this week while Hakuna Matata fell 3 slots. Four players have portfolios with YTD gains in excess of 100% on the year. Check out the new standings and latest trades... QIS STOCK CHALLENGE

By Josh_Kier

Posted: Saturday Oct 17 10:27:16PM 2009

The QIS Stock Challenge has been updated using closing prices from October 16/09. The new Leaderboard has been posted and the contestant portfolios have all been updated in the Stock Challenge PDF file. ray climbed 5 positions in the standings this week while rodball fell four spots. Four players have now posted gains in excess of 100% on the year. Check out the new standings and latest trades... QIS STOCK CHALLENGE

By Josh_Kier

Posted: Friday Oct 9 4:29:45PM 2009

The QIS Stock Challenge has been updated using closing prices from October 9/09. The new Leaderboard has been posted and the contestant portfolios have all been updated in the Stock Challenge PDF file. Summerdogs gained back 3 spots this week and is now sitting in 14th place, while ray dropped 4 slots from 12th to 16th. Check out the new standings and latest trades... QIS STOCK CHALLENGE

By Josh_Kier

Posted: Tuesday Oct 6 11:42:29AM 2009

The QIS Stock Challenge has been updated using closing prices from Oct. 2/09. The new leaderboard has been posted and the contestant portfolios have all been updated in the Stock Challenge PDF file. Sorry, forgot to post the results on Friday. Not too much activity on the leaderboard this week, though woodstove added over $6000 to his portfolio value. Check out the new standings and latest trades... QIS STOCK CHALLENGE

By Josh_Kier

Posted: Friday Sep 25 4:55:59PM 2009

The QIS Stock Challenge has been updated using closing prices from Sept. 25/09. The new leaderboard has been posted and the contestant portfolios have all been updated in the Stock Challenge PDF file. Doren and mlmack each climbed two spots this week while Hakuna Matata fell out of the top 5 to 8th position. Check out the new standings and latest trades... QIS STOCK CHALLENGE

By Josh_Kier

Posted: Friday Sep 18 5:03:42PM 2009

The QIS Stock Challenge has been updated using closing prices from Sept. 18/09. The new Leaderboard has been posted and the contestant portfolios have all been updated in the Stock Challenge PDF file. rodball leapt five spots this week to 12th while Shmavin fell six spots from 11th to 17th. Check out the new standings and latest trades... QIS STOCK CHALLENGE

By Josh_Kier

Posted: Friday Sep 4 4:38:22PM 2009

The QIS Stock Challenge has been updated using closing prices from Sept. 4/09. The new Leaderboard has been posted and the contestant portfolios have all been updated in the Stock Challenge PDF file. Stiltrying leapt five spots this week to 12th while Summerdogs fell four spots from 13th to 17th. Check out the new standings and latest trades... QIS STOCK CHALLENGE

By Josh_Kier

Posted: Friday Aug 28 4:06:51PM 2009

The QIS Stock Challenge has been updated using closing prices from August 28/09. The new Leaderboard has been posted and the contestant portfolios have all been updated in the Stock Challenge PDF file. Pretty quiet week this week in terms of changes on the leaderboard and number of trades executed by players. Check out the new standings and latest trades... QIS STOCK CHALLENGE

By Josh_Kier

Posted: Friday Aug 21 3:56:12PM 2009

The QIS Stock Challenge has been updated using closing prices from August 21/09. The new Leaderboard has been posted and the contestant portfolios have all been updated in the Stock Challenge PDF file. mrjones321 gained back 5 spots this week and is now sitting in 9th place, while Doren dropped 4 slots from 8th to 12th. Check out the new standings and latest trades... QIS STOCK CHALLENGE

By Josh_Kier

Posted: Friday Aug 7 2:58:57PM 2009

The QIS Stock Challenge has been updated using closing prices from August 14/09. The new Leaderboard has been posted and the contestant portfolios have all been updated in the Stock Challenge PDF file. Check out the new standings and latest trades... QIS STOCK CHALLENGE

By dquinton

Posted: Saturday Aug 15 8:49:28AM 2009

Congratulations on being the first to reach a 100% gain ScotiaElvis.

By Josh_Kier

Posted: Friday Jul 31 3:29:50PM 2009

The QIS Stock Challenge has been updated using closing prices from July 31/09. The new Leaderboard has been posted and the contestant portfolios have all been updated in the Stock Challenge PDF file. Hakuna Matata and mrjones 321 each climbed two spots to 5th and 8th, respectively, while Doren fell two spots in the standings from 9th to 11th. Check out the new standings and latest trades... QIS STOCK CHALLENGE

By Josh_Kier

Posted: Friday Jul 24 3:05:36PM 2009

The QIS Stock Challenge has been updated using closing prices from July 24/09. The new Leaderboard has been posted and the contestant portfolios have all been updated in the Stock Challenge PDF file. sideburn moved up 4 spots to 17th while joshpacific fell four spots to 21st. Check out the new standings and latest trades... QIS STOCK CHALLENGE

By Josh_Kier

Posted: Friday Jul 17 4:26:01PM 2009

The QIS Stock Challenge has been updated using closing prices from July 17/09. The new Leaderboard has been posted and the contestant portfolios have all been updated in the Stock Challenge PDF file. Summerdogs and joshpacific each climbed 5 positions in the standings this week while RealRed and jchubitnet each fell four spots. Check out the new standings and latest trades... QIS STOCK CHALLENGE

By Josh_Kier

Posted: Friday Jul 10 2:30:40PM 2009

The QIS Stock Challenge has been updated using closing prices from July 10/09. The new Leaderboard has been posted and the contestant portfolios have all been updated in the Stock Challenge PDF file. What a red week!!! Check out the new standings and latest trades... QIS STOCK CHALLENGE

By Josh_Kier

Posted: Friday Jul 3 2:54:35PM 2009

The QIS Stock Challenge has been updated using closing prices from July 3/09. The new Leaderboard has been posted and the contestant portfolios have all been updated in the Stock Challenge PDF file. GFI broke into the top 5 after a solid performance from Teck Cominco on the week. joshpacific fell 5 spots on the week to 19th position. Check out the new standings and latest trades... QIS STOCK CHALLENGE

By Josh_Kier

Posted: Friday Jun 19 4:43:51PM 2009

The QIS Stock Challenge has been updated using closing prices from June 19/09. The new Leaderboard has been posted and the contestant portfolios have all been updated in the Stock Challenge PDF file. Shmavin was up 3 positions from 6th to 3rd and RealRed fell three spots from 9th to 12th. Overall it was a down week as 20 of the 26 portfolios posted a loss. Check out the new standings and latest trades... QIS STOCK CHALLENGE

By Josh_Kier

Posted: Friday Jun 12 5:29:11PM 2009

The QIS Stock Challenge has been updated using closing prices from June 12/09. The new Leaderboard has been posted and the contestant portfolios have all been updated in the Stock Challenge PDF file. rodball climbed three spots this week while Stiltrying fell four spots from 13th to 17th. Check out the new standings and latest trades... QIS STOCK CHALLENGE

By joshpacific

Posted: Sunday May 24 9:18:21PM 2009

Congrats to mrjones for picking Rainy River Resources, phenomenal pick.

By joshpacific

Posted: Saturday Apr 25 5:11:42PM 2009

I got a rock. :(

By Josh_Kier

Posted: Saturday Apr 18 10:17:38PM 2009

The QIS Stock Challenge has been updated using closing prices from April 17/09. The new Leaderboard has been posted and the contestant portfolios have all been updated in the Stock Challenge PDF file. No change in the Top 5 this week. For the top movers, buffetlike climbed four spots to 11th while Stiltrying fell three spots in the standings to 19th. Check out the new standings and latest trades... QIS STOCK CHALLENGE

By Josh_Kier

Posted: Thursday Apr 9 4:17:59PM 2009

The QIS Stock Challenge has been updated using closing prices from April 9/09. The new Leaderboard has been posted and the contestant portfolios have all been updated in the Stock Challenge PDF file. joshpacific climbed two spots to 14th while Shmavin and Stiltrying each fell two spots in the standings to 5th and 16th, respectively. Check out the new standings and latest trades... QIS STOCK CHALLENGE

By joshpacific

Posted: Wednesday Apr 1 2:16:07PM 2009

I edited my previous post several times. Final edit posted at 06:25 PT, Apr 2.

By mrjones321

Posted: Wednesday Apr 1 11:03:18AM 2009

I have no problem with anyone joining as this is all really just for fun and for learning. I would say that given the amount of paperwork involved that maybe there should be a terminate option for any members as I am sure that some will quit trading if their portfolios get wacked. If you have more entries this will mean more work. So if there was a voluntary terminate button this I am sure would help you guys out.

By mrjones321

Posted: Wednesday Apr 1 7:44:22AM 2009

Hey Josh are you proposing a bail out? :) What are the strings? Does this sound familiar or what? Of course this is all tongue and cheek.

By mrjones321

Posted: Tuesday Mar 31 9:15:57PM 2009

Doren I see that ILI has issued another financing. Can I take part of this financing in the QIS capital contest? I am also interested to know if the warrants would be available to me as well at the .20cents. If you could let me know that would be great. As it is I am currently taking place in the financing for ILI currently so its not like the shares are not available or anything. They are. Thanks Doren

By desertcanuck

Posted: Tuesday Mar 31 8:02:32PM 2009

Doren I concur with Woodstove. It is your party, your rules. As far as I am concerned the more participants, the more stocks that are profiled, and, the more opportunity to find a company that would benefit my real life portfolio. aka Okanagan Kid

By woodstove

Posted: Tuesday Mar 31 4:43:04PM 2009

My attitude is that you should do what you want. You are providing the contest support services, etc for free. If you were selling something, and new customers came along, would you refuse the new customers because old customers might feel less important? So do whatever helps publicize your business. Regarding entry capital for new entrants, midpoint (12th of 23) is about $54k account balance, so new entrants at $50k are not out of line. You could assign an extra $50k capital to everyone, old and new. That should generate quite a bit further stockpicking.

By dquinton

Posted: Tuesday Mar 31 3:54:26PM 2009

I have had some requests for new entrants to the stock challenge. While it would be nice to see additional trading strategies, to allow new entrants at this point would not be fair to current participants unless a discount was included or perhaps coming in at lowest portfolio value or something. Could also be something that is allowed at the end of each quarter. Pretty tough to do and maintain fairness but what is consensus out there?

By Josh_Kier

Posted: Tuesday Mar 31 10:08:33AM 2009

The QIS Stock Challenge has been updated using closing prices from March 30/09. The new Leaderboard has been posted and the contestant portfolios have all been updated in the Stock Challenge PDF file. Although the last couple of updates have used Monday prices, we still intend to update the contest on Fridays going forward. mlmack had a strong move from 4th to 1st, switching positions with ScotiaElvis in the top 5. Second, third and fourth are separated by only $150, so it is very close. Check out the new standings and latest trades... QIS STOCK CHALLENGE

By woodstove

Posted: Monday Mar 30 5:07:59PM 2009

What would you consider a reasonable max market cap? I agree small caps are more appropriate for QIS site, and would be happy to limit my stockpicking accordingly. Whatever makes the game more interesting / educational.

By desertcanuck

Posted: Sunday Mar 29 9:12:27AM 2009

Josh I would not mind seeing a graphical display of each contestant showing the weekly value. This would show the volatility of each strategy. Already it is quite fascinating to see the strategies at work. I find I am learning alot. aka Okanagan Kid

By joshpacific

Posted: Thursday Mar 26 12:34:29AM 2009

I want to be both KING and POPE!

By Bobwins

Posted: Wednesday Mar 25 1:10:57PM 2009

Josh, my goal is to make the top performer list. There are two ways to accomplish this. I could pick some better stocks and move up the list OR you could list the top 6 gainers! I think increasing the list would be more predictable and likely! What do you say? Bobwins

By Josh_Kier

Posted: Tuesday Mar 24 1:58:52PM 2009

The QIS Stock Challenge has been updated using closing prices from March 6/09. The new Leaderboard has been posted and the contestant portfolios have all been updated in the Stock Challenge PDF file. Updated the contest a day late this past week (Monday closes were used instead of Friday). buffetlike was our top mover this week as he jumped 5 spots from 15th to 20th. There were four contestants who each fell 2 spots to share the biggest decline this week. No change occurred in our top 5 for perhaps the first time all year. Although the portfolios are only updated once per week with current prices, the Trading Summaries for each contest are updated regularly - we are now posting who has made recent trades so that viewers can see the updated Trading Summaries throughout the week. Check out the new standings and latest trades... QIS STOCK CHALLENGE

By Josh_Kier

Posted: Friday Mar 6 3:43:19PM 2009

The QIS Stock Challenge has been updated using closing prices from March 6/09. The new Leaderboard has been posted and the contestant portfolios have all been updated in the Stock Challenge PDF file. There were four top movers this week along with four top decliners. Congratulations to ScotiaElvis who has continued his relentless ascent up the leaderboard to the #1 spot after sitting in 13th place just one month ago. Although the portfolios are only updated once per week with current prices, the Trading Summaries for each contest are updated regularly - we are now posting who has made recent trades so that viewers can see the updated Trading Summaries throughout the week. Check out the new standings and latest trades... QIS STOCK CHALLENGE

By Josh_Kier

Posted: Friday Feb 27 3:40:27PM 2009

The QIS Stock Challenge has been updated using closing prices from February 27/09. The new Leaderboard has been posted and the contestant portfolios have all been updated in the Stock Challenge PDF file. The top mover this week was ScotiaElvis for the second week in a row. This time, he broke into the top 5 by moving up four spots from 7th to 3rd. Buffetlike fell another 7 spots and is the top decliner again this week. Although the portfolios are only updated once per week with current prices, the Trading Summaries for each contest are updated regularly - we are now posting who has made recent trades so that viewers can see the updated Trading Summaries throughout the week. Check out the new standings and latest trades... QIS STOCK CHALLENGE

By Josh_Kier

Posted: Friday Feb 20 4:43:35PM 2009

The QIS Stock Challenge has been updated using closing prices from February 20/09. The new Leaderboard has been posted and the contestant portfolios have all been updated in the Stock Challenge PDF file. The top movers this week were Scotia Elvis, jchubitnet and rodball who each climbed 2 spots in the standings. Buffetlike fell 5 spots and is the top decliner this week. Although the portfolios are only updated once per week with current prices, the Trading Summaries for each contest are updated regularly - we are now posting who has made recent trades so that viewers can see the updated Trading Summaries throughout the week. Check out the new standings and latest trades... QIS STOCK CHALLENGE

By Josh_Kier

Posted: Friday Feb 13 5:09:29PM 2009

The QIS Stock Challenge has been updated using closing prices from February 13/09. The new Leaderboard has been posted and the contestant portfolios have all been updated in the Stock Challenge PDF file. The top mover this week was Scotia Elvis, who jumped 4 spots, while RealRed fell 3 spots to claim the title of top decliner this week. Although the portfolios are only updated once per week with current prices, the Trading Summaries for each contest are updated as each trade is made. On the Stock Challenge page below the contest standings, we have started to disclose who has made recent trades so that viewers can see the updated Trading Summaries throughout the week. Check out the new standings... QIS STOCK CHALLENGE

By Josh_Kier

Posted: Friday Feb 6 3:46:25PM 2009

The QIS Stock Challenge has been updated using closing prices from February 6/09. The new Leaderboard has been posted and the contestant portolios have all been updated in the Stock Challenge PDF file. Shmavin has increased his lead to more than $9500 over the second place contestant (mrjones321 has moved past woodstove into second place this week). Although the portfolios are only updated once per week with current prices, the Trading Summaries for each contest are updated as each trade is made. On the Stock Challenge page below the contest standings, we have started to disclose who has made recent trades so that viewers can see the updated Trading Summaries throughout the week. Check out the new standings... QIS STOCK CHALLENGE

By joshpacific

Posted: Tuesday Feb 3 12:29:44AM 2009

Great addition. Thanks guys.

By Josh_Kier

Posted: Monday Feb 2 4:51:34PM 2009

On the QIS Stock Challenge page, we are now listing the names of contestants who have recently made trades so that viewers and other players can see some of the activity that is going on without having to wait until the Friday update is posted. For example, joshpacific and woodstove had trades executed on Feb. 2 and this is displayed near the bottom of the page... click here to view.

By Josh_Kier

Posted: Monday Feb 2 9:42:52AM 2009

The QIS Stock Challenge has been updated using closing prices from January 30/09. The new Leaderboard has been posted and the contestant portolios have all been updated in the Stock Challenge PDF file. There is a new leader this week with Shmavin overtaking woodstove for the top spot. One of the top movers was Bobwins who entered the top 5 largely due to the week-over-week price increase in Central Sun Mining (CSM:TSX-V). Check out the new results... QIS STOCK CHALLENGE

By Josh_Kier

Posted: Friday Jan 23 5:05:11PM 2009

The QIS Stock Challenge has been updated using closing prices from January 23/09. The new Leaderboard has been posted and the PDF Stock Challenge file is now online. Check out the new results... QIS STOCK CHALLENGE

By Broke in Canada

Posted: Wednesday Jan 21 3:37:43PM 2009

Cindos - half your portfolio gone in a few weeks. Very nice!

By Josh_Kier

Posted: Friday Jan 16 3:43:10PM 2009

The QIS Stock Challenge has been updated using closing prices from January 16/09. The new Leaderboard has been posted and the PDF Stock Challenge file is now online. There were no drastic changes in the standings this week, which was a down week for most contestants. Two players tied for the top gainer status this week with both rodball and Stiltrying climbing two spots in the standnings. On the down side, ray and Doren both slipped three positions. Check out the new results... QIS STOCK CHALLENGE

By Josh_Kier

Posted: Thursday Dec 4 11:29:43AM 2008

The QIS Stock Challenge has been updated with Dec. 3 closing prices and the new leaderboard and 24-page PDF file of contestant portfolios are now online. Once we pass the Dec. 31 contest entry deadline, the portfolios and leaderboard will be updated on a more structured basis (likely once per week on Friday). Players are encouraged to review their portfolios for potential errors or typos and email us with any concerns. QIS STOCK CHALLENGE

By Josh_Kier

Posted: Friday Dec 19 4:26:26PM 2008

The QIS Stock Challenge has been updated with Dec. 19 closing prices. The new leaderboard and PDF portfolio file are now online. Players are encouraged to review their portfolios for potential errors or typos and email us with any concerns. QIS STOCK CHALLENGE

By dquinton

Posted: Tuesday Dec 2 8:44:26AM 2008

Commissions will be charged each day a trade occurs just like real life.

By joshpacific

Posted: Saturday Nov 29 10:53:35PM 2008

Doren, you clarified that an order filled over multiple days would count as one trade towards the monthly maximum. How does the same situation apply to commissions?

By knobizumi

Posted: Friday Nov 28 6:30:25PM 2008

You mean this had already started? I must have read wrong. I think I missed the boat already. Huge gains this week. Two of the ones I was planning on picking are up over 50% in the past week. Arrrrghhhh! ! !

By joshpacific

Posted: Thursday Nov 27 5:03:37PM 2008

Do 2 partial fills on different days from the same order count as 1 trade?

By mrjones321

Posted: Monday Nov 24 10:01:39PM 2008

Doren congrats so far on the contest. Its quite obvious everyone seems to be more interested in your website which is great for all here. I did want to ask you though if you could add one feature. I dont think this would add too much more work for you or at least I hope not. What I would like to see if an update on trades daily if possible. I am not talking about giving us updated numbers(profits/losses) as that could be done weekly. I am asking if you could let us know if we have been filled or sold. I put a bid in for oilexco and I believe i was filled this morning but i dont know for sure as I am not 100% positive in my bid price. If I think it is what it is then I did get filled and I am up huge today but then again maybe I didnt fill and I am waiting a week to find out if I did or didnt get filled. If we knew one way or the other on trades in advance we could make better use of our imaginary money buying other stocks if we are not filled. Cheers Doren and thank you for putting this contest on. Good work.

By joshpacific

Posted: Friday Nov 21 10:13:27AM 2008

Do we have access to our respective limit orders so that we can cancel or modify them?

By dquinton

Posted: Thursday Nov 20 10:58:21AM 2008

There is a "Submit a Trade" button on the QIS Stock Challenge page. If participants could email me when a dividend is paid it would help considerably. It would be an administrative nightmare to track all of that.

By mrjones321

Posted: Wednesday Nov 19 8:45:48PM 2008

Excellent work Doren. I think the best part of the contest is the fact that we all will be able to learn from others online. I wanted to ask you how are we going to submit our stock picks. Will you set up an email that we secretly will email our picks to. Then at the start of the contest disclose the picks to all. This would then not give any participant any leg up on another as his/her picks would be a secret. Thanks again Doren for all your hard work. Cheers

By woodstove

Posted: Thursday Nov 20 8:52:52AM 2008

What is the plan re dividend payments?

By dquinton

Posted: Wednesday Nov 19 6:42:49AM 2008

Yes - submitting a trade is equivalent to a limit order with no restrictions and good for 5 business days. The stock must trade volume at that price for a fill or partial fill to occur. I would prefer no shorting as not all stocks can legitimately be shorted and it adds extra administration but I am open to this idea depending on feedback. Doren

By joshpacific

Posted: Wednesday Nov 19 2:37:38AM 2008

I like the rules and the general design of the challenge. Is shorting permitted?

By dquinton

Posted: Tuesday Nov 18 5:01:48PM 2008

The QIS Capital Stock Challenge is now LIVE. There is a button on the left or you can view the home page at: www.qiscapital.com/stockchallenge.php. Following are the rules for the contest: 1) Hypothetical portfolio starts at $50,000 Cdn. 2) A maximum of 10 stocks in the portfolio at any given time. 3) Stocks must be chosen from a North American Exchange (exchange rates calculated on buy and sell only). 4) A maximum of 5 trades per month. Trades must be submitted by midnight the previous day and will remain open for 5 business days. Only the actual trading volume at the set price will be filled. 5) A set commission of $10 will be added to each trade. 6) A minimum of 5 stocks must be purchased during the duration of the contest or the participant will be disqualified. 7) Portfolio values and standings will be updated approximately once per week. The contest starts immediately and participants must enter by December 31, 2008. Some of the features include a chance to view the portfolio of individuals at any time including all trading activity and any company comments or reasons for a buy/sell trade. If there are any further suggestions or questions, please let me know. All opinions presented are those of the individual participants and are not a solicitation to buy or sell securities nor should any information be construed as offering investment advice. Good Luck and have fun. Doren

By mrjones321

Posted: Wednesday Nov 5 7:27:23AM 2008

I noticed that the National Post is running an online contest right now. Anyone can join and you can trade. The beautiful thing about their contest is there are rules. For example. You want 30k shares of XYZ and you put your order in. If the stock doesnt trade that many shares at your price you do not get filled thus your order doesnt get filled. Its a more realistic contest. Plus you can short, go long, stay cash or whatever. Now if we were to use their contest platform. Keep our names as they are from here on there then we can monitor our results. There would be no need to need to spend the time to update has Elephant has been doing. Now the down side would be this contest has an ending point which I am not so sure what that date is at the moment. So if we did pile into this platform we would have to end the contest when the national post ends theirs I suppose. Unless we use that date as a trading deadline and then it would be a hold from there after.

By dquinton

Posted: Monday Nov 3 9:48:49PM 2008

Once this Vancouver Conference is over this coming weekend I will take a serious look at putting together a contest with rules for 2009. I will take all suggestions under consideration and plan to post the framework of the contest by the end of November. I appreciate the effort from those that have taken part in the past and look forward to building on the positives that have been developed.

By mrjones321

Posted: Monday Nov 3 9:22:17AM 2008

Pandreola, Tara, Bobwins are three forum participants here that I really value. Taking nothing away from all other entrants these three individuals seem to bring more to the table than most others here. I would love to see all three enter this contest here as they seem to always base the reasons for their trades ie. real fundamentals. I would love to hear from you guys as to if you would consider joining and if not why? Cheers

By mrjones321

Posted: Sunday Nov 2 6:13:36PM 2008

Doren you have talked about creating a contest for your website. I think it would be in everyones interest to have a contest that anyone can join. It would be nice to have many entrants rather than a select few. The idea in mind with contests is to learn from mistakes, to learn from others and to have fun in the process. I also think it would be good to have a contest that is well thought out in advance. Thus to not give anyone select entrant a leg up on another. By having you Doren mediate this then there would be no unfair advantage to any entrant. We could email you our picks and you could lay out the terms. Maybe there could be a prize in the process. ie lunch out with Doren or something of that nature. Anyways Doren let us know what you think. Cheers

Canadian Small Caps

Canadian Small Caps

CLICK HERE to view the presentations from the Spring 2016 Small-Cap Conferences.

We are pleased to publish the PowerPoint presentations from The Small-Cap Conferences that were held in Calgary on March 30, 2016 and in Vancouver on May 3, 2016.

We encourage investors to review the presentations and contact the companies with any further questions.

www.smallcapconference.ca/presentations.php
plus

What's New